Sunday, March 25, 2007

Prologue(s)

Again, I am trying to type in some thoughts...and I have no idea what to begin with...I remember, in secondary school, when our English teacher asked us to write an essay, he would ask us to make sure we had a good introduction and a good summary and the body didn't matter so much...and as I type in, I see the introduction going terrible...so I think of the great books I have had a chance to read, just for the heck of inspiration ;) , and again I am a cropper; I am talking of the Bhagwadgeeta and the Ramcharitmanas....Now no mortal can dream to copy the god himself, so I will move on to the next. I still remember my father reciting the first couplet (or is it a quadruplet!) of the epic verbatim on countless occasions; and I still don't know it by heart; but yes I know that the great Tulsidas offers his regards to the goddess Saraswati, the equivalent of the nine muses in Hindu mytho and Lord Ganesha, the god of all good omens.. (the couplet ends in 'वन्दे वाणी विनायकौ' meaning I worship Saraswati (synonymous to वाणी and Ganesha, a synonym for विनायक with some other grammar thrown in) and seeks their blessings further in other couplets, he does the same to other gods and powers that be....but lets not digress, I am talking of introductions and how they make up a literary piece (no, I am not saying this is one; it has a terrible startup anyway!); and how important it is to have one when u r writing something...

I do remember some other masterpieces:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness... (a tale of two cities);
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife ... (Pride and Prejudice);
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show...(David Copperfield, one of the best pseudo autobios I 've read);
or sample this from 'shekhar-ek jeevani' by 'agyeya' (another pseudo autobio) -
वेदना में एक शक्ति है जो दृष्टि देती है; जो यातना में है, वो दृष्टा हो सकता है (pain has the power that provides vision to (the) one who beholds it (is allowed to watch);
or the first stanza from Dharmvir Bharati's Kanupriya -
यह जो मैं कभी कभी चरम साक्षात्कार के क्षणों मे बिल्कुल जड़ और निःस्प्न्द हो जाती हूँ, इस का मर्म तुम क्यों नहीं समझते मेरे साँवरे
(kanupriya aka radha, Krishna's beloved, sweetly scolds him that he does not understand her loss of sensation when they are with each other (and why)....

and lest someone complain, what could be more apt that this....the simplest and perhaps the best of all..and I hope it does not need any introductions...
What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?...

well..I am not saying anything more..

No comments: